Why a Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate

University of Cincinnati’s online Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate features an innovative curriculum fully grounded in the core competencies of applied behavior analysis, as indicated by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). The program focuses on evidence-based practices that have a measurable impact on a wide spectrum of individuals with specific behavioral needs.

Behavior Analysis for Educators

A graduate certificate in behavior analysis can help teachers and administrators currently working throughout the educational system improve instruction and classroom management strategies. It can also provide the confidence and knowledge you’ll need to implement training sessions on behavior management for other educators and school administrators. Whether it’s your goal to make a difference in your classroom, change careers, advance your education, earn BCBA certification, or just develop better techniques for working with behavioral issues, a graduate certificate in behavior analysis can help facilitate these goals.

Behavioral Analysis for Mental Health Practitioners

For counselors, therapists, and other community mental health practitioners, a graduate certificate in behavior analysis can help provide more effective support of the development of children and adults with behavioral issues. Whether you work in an educational, community, or clinical setting, a certificate in behavioral analysis can prepare you to provide more focused consultations and assist clients with mental and emotional issues, developmental disabilities, vocational concerns, trouble with adaptive skills, and self-esteem issues. The certificate also helps prepare you for Behavior Analyst Certification Board certification, possible career change or advancement opportunities, and improved interactions with other practitioners in the field.

call to action

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


  • Stacie says:

    I’m not familiar with the term graduate certificate. Is this graduate degree? Will I be able to earn my BCBA (or any additional certification) through this program alone?

  • Typically, a Graduate Certificate simply indicates that the coursework taken is at the Graduate level. As a result, a student enrolled in a Graduate Certificate program must at least have a bachelor’s degree.

    The Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate program at UC is not a degree program. However, we do have a Masters of Education degree program that also includes the certification coursework offered in the Graduate Certificate. As a result, our students are able to complete all of the components required by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) through UC, except the supervision. We hope to bring a practicum online for the supervision in the future, but we are still in the beginning phases of our research into this component.

    Best regards,

    Jenna Vandenberg
    Enrollment Advisor

  • Shannon Thornton says:

    I am interested in the certificate program over the education program for a couple of reasons. The first is because I am looking to get my masters in marriage and family therapy and the second because I work with the severe and persistently mentally ill population. Would you recommend just the certificate portion since I am looking for a masters program already or do you think this would make me just not a right fit? Also I took a survey by the APA about providing certificate courses for BCBA licensure/certification and I felt it would be beneficial so I started looking for programs that offer this. What can I do employment wise once I receive this certification? My lst question is this: I was laid off recently due to budget cutback (we all know how those are working in for a community mental health program since the government is continually cutting budgets for mental health.) Can I take these courses if I am currently unemployed and looking for work in my field? And next is what is your faculty to student ratio for your online courses. Please get back to me through email. Thank you again,
    Shannon Thornton

  • Kyle Wallace says:

    Hi Shannon,

    One of the Board’s requirements to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst is to have a Master’s degree in a related field. You have the option of doing the certificate program first, but you will have to wait until you complete your Master’s degree in order to sit for the exam. Because of this, my best advice is for you to earn your Marriage and Family Degree and then begin pursuing the certificate program in order to become Board Certified.

    In regards to your specific questions, you do not need to be employed to do the program. We have a ratio of 20 students to 1 facilitator in each class. Facilitators are similar to graduate assistants in that they work with students as well as the professor to be certain students are well supported in classes.

    If you have any questions or need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us at 877-398-3059. Take care!

    Kyle D. Wallace
    Enrollment Advisor

  • Shay says:

    I am currently working as an intervention specialist (Bachelor’s degree from UC in Special Education) and have my Master’s in Reading and Writing Specialties from University of the Cumberlands. I am interested in moving out of the educational setting and into a clinical setting in the future. Would the Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate qualify me to do so? Aside from the requirement for supervision, are there other requirement for receiving board certification outside of the program? Is a master’s in Reading and Writing going to qualify as a related field?

  • Behavior Analysts can find work in areas outside of the classroom, as many different professions utilize them, including Psychologists and Social Workers. Additionally, depending upon the state in which you live, Behavior Analysts may be able to open their own clinics and/or bill insurance companies. Since the Behavior Analyst Certification Board is a national organization, this credential can be very useful regardless of where you live.

    Please know that the Board has very specific degrees listed for their degree requirement, which can be found at: http://www.bacb.com/index.php?page=100378. If you do not see your Master’s degree listed there, then you can fill out the form found at the bottom of that website to see if they will make an exception and accept your degree. If they do not accept your degree, please know that we have a Master’s degree program that includes the certification coursework. That program is ten courses in length, the first six of which are to meet the Board’s certification coursework requirement. Additionally, we accept transfer credit for up to three of the last four courses, provided that the courses match closely with our courses; an official transfer request must be made after being accepted into the program in order to determine if you will receive credit.

  • Jacob says:

    BACB requires a Master’s degree in order to take the exam for National certification. I am a licensed special education teacher and have already completed an MA in Educational Psychology. I am potentially interested in your Behavior Analysis certificate program. Since I already have a related Master’s degree, would I be eligible for National certification based on completion of your graduate certificate program?

  • April Utt says:

    I am currently enrolled in the CJDL program through UC. While I still have one year left, I have started looking into certifications to supplement my master’s degree. I am interested in enrolling in the Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate program after completion of the CJ program. Is the CJ program considered a related field to the behavior analysis certificate?

  • Dantley says:

    Can you qualify for federal student aid while pursuing a graduate certificate?

  • Hi Dantley, yes, our program is designed to meet the requirements for federal student aid. Please note that at the graduate level financial aid mostly comes in the form of student loans. Please feel free to call or email us at 877-398-3059 and we’ll be happy to assist you further.

  • Hi April, at this time the Behavior Analyst Certification Board does not consider Criminal Justice to be a related field. If you are interested in becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, we do have a Master’s track program that is only four additional classes in order to have a Master’s degree in a field deemed related by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board. Please feel free to call or email us at 877-398-3059, and we’ll be happy to assist you in any way we can.

  • Hi Jacob, in addition to having a Master’s degree in a related field and the additional courses the board requires, you must have 1500 hours of field experience; 5% of those hours, which is about 75 hours, must be supervised by a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. Please give us a call at 877-398-3059, and we’ll be happy to review BACB requirements and how our program can help you achieve them.

  • Nicole says:

    What is required for supervision?

  • Please know that the supervision is a Board requirement, not a program requirement. You can reach us at 877-398-3059 for more information on the Behavior Analyst Certification Board’s requirements or you can go directly to the Board’s Experience Standards website.