Types of Financial Aid


There are many ways to get funding for your education; one of the most widely used resources is a federal or private loan.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

The Federal Stafford Loan is the most common type of federal student financial aid loan, and it requires the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans—An unsubsidized Stafford Loan is not based on need and allows some students to borrow additional money. Students are responsible for the interest on an unsubsidized loan. No payments are required on any Stafford Loan until 6 months after you leave school or fall below 6 credits. If possible, you may want to pay accrued interest on an unsubsidized loan while you are enrolled.

For more information on Federal Direct Stafford Loans, click here. For information regarding Direct PLUS Loans for Graduate and Professions Degree students, click here.

Alternative Student Loans

Some students may need additional loan funds after maximizing their federal loan options or may not be eligible for federal loans and still need to borrow towards their education. Many lenders offer private alternative loans to help students meet the gap between financial aid and college costs.

Students must either meet the credit criteria of the loan for which they are applying or have a credit-eligible co-borrower. Many of these loans also require enrollment in six or more degree credits per semester, but there are options for students studying in non-degree classes or enrolled in less than half-time status. Reminder: Borrow only what you need. Always remember that you will have to pay back what you borrow.

Click here for alternative loan options.

call to action

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.